Twingo rs DECAT

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or for the chemists amongst us, it's sacrificial oxidation.

The same reason submarines have sacrificial Zinc on the outer surfaces. More reactive metals are exposed to the elements so take the brunt of the oxidation away from the rest of the body.

HOWEVER, I may think this is also not the case for the block as any attempt to provide a sacrificial substrate would be optimised by greatly increasing it's surface area, not it's mass. Think Heat Sink construction for optimum heat dispersal, same thing for Ox. Blocks.

madmatt":vw466btr said:

The same reason submarines have sacrificial Zinc on the outer surfaces. More reactive metals are exposed to the elements so take the brunt of the oxidation away from the rest of the body.

HOWEVER, I may think this is also not the case for the block as any attempt to provide a sacrificial substrate would be optimised by greatly increasing it's surface area, not it's mass. Think Heat Sink construction for optimum heat dispersal, same thing for Ox. Blocks.
This^^^^. A thin cast block with holes through it (think vented brake disc) would be lighter and have a greater surface area. It would also help if the block was actually attached to the chassis in a manner to allow the best electrical flow. Not bolted onto with one unprotected bolt, onto a fully primed and painted area. It would also help if the block was positioned in an area where it could be reached, so it could be cleaned to produce a rust free surface again.

Also, if that were the case, how come the smaller upper block is painted black and shows absolitely no sign of rusting :?

Having several small anodes positioned around the structure is far better than one large one. Especially when that's positioned at one corner.

If Cathodic Protection was the aim, I think the implementation is a very poor design

madmatt":12mt9nz2 said:

*maybe it also for vibration as some say is just next to the pulley

singlespeed":2qt0wpo8 said:
madmatt":2qt0wpo8 said:

This^^^^. A thin cast block with holes through it (think vented brake disc) would be lighter and have a greater surface area. It would also help if the block was actually attached to the chassis in a manner to allow the best electrical flow. Not bolted onto with one unprotected bolt, onto a fully primed and painted area. It would also help if the block was positioned in an area where it could be reached, so it could be cleaned to produce a rust free surface again.

Also, if that were the case, how come the smaller upper block is painted black and shows absolitely no sign of rusting :?

Having several small anodes positioned around the structure is far better than one large one. Especially when that's positioned at one corner.

If Cathodic Protection was the aim, I think the implementation is a very poor design

the one on the top paint is clearly for vibration
i think i saw the part on dyalogis and it was mention clearly anti vibration mass

but did you remove the lower one? as I saw how much rusted is you'r car (from your picture) if it's the case maybe it's really for that lol

mazmaz":1qk2hdp9 said:
singlespeed":1qk2hdp9 said:
madmatt":1qk2hdp9 said:

the one on the top paint is clearly for vibration
i think i saw the part on dyalogis and it was mention clearly anti vibration mass

but did you remove the lower one? as I saw how much rusted is you'r car (from your picture) if it's the case maybe it's really for that lol
Yes, I have removed the lower block. But that was only three weeks ago :lol:
Obviously crap at its job if that was ever the intention ;)

mmmh ok
so maybe you'r right ! but still it's probably their for some vibration

how it look like the piece ? does it rust a lot? easy to remove?