Unexpected Orange Juice - Dom's Twingo GT

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help again guys. Always handy to have socket set and jump leads in the boot, take them with me everywhere. Happy with my simple fix :)

French electronics being grumpy last night. Boot wouldn't shut, sounds like what seems to be a common problem with the boot solenoid.
Basically when you unlock the car and open the boot it won't close after, it'll just stay open. After several attempts you can usually get it to properly shut and latch but sometimes it'll randomly open itself. I was driving along last night, thankfully down a residential street and suddenly I heard the boot latch go and the interior light came on. I pulled over and open/closed the boot a few times until it latched and stayed shut.

The current work around is to get in the car and hit the lock button on top of the dash, this way the boot won't open whilst I'm driving.
Anyone on here had the issue, seems quite common around the web for Clio owners.

Didge3":2q554saf said:
French electronics being grumpy last night. Boot wouldn't shut, sounds like what seems to be a common problem with the boot solenoid.
Basically when you unlock the car and open the boot it won't close after, it'll just stay open. After several attempts you can usually get it to properly shut and latch but sometimes it'll randomly open itself. I was driving along last night, thankfully down a residential street and suddenly I heard the boot latch go and the interior light came on. I pulled over and open/closed the boot a few times until it latched and stayed shut.

The current work around is to get in the car and hit the lock button on top of the dash, this way the boot won't open whilst I'm driving.
Anyone on here had the issue, seems quite common around the web for Clio owners.

hahaha oh the lovely old clio problems. this will be a one off don't worry dom, different boot levers and all. i certainly never seen it on a twingo :D you'll need to get into renault to get a new lever mechanism which shall set you back 30 quid. it's only held in by a couple of bolts. you know the solenoid is working because when you locked it from the dash lock as you said, it held it closed

oscar":160kogm9 said:
hahaha oh the lovely old clio problems. this will be a one off don't worry dom, different boot levers and all. i certainly never seen it on a twingo :D you'll need to get into renault to get a new lever mechanism which shall set you back 30 quid. it's only held in by a couple of bolts. you know the solenoid is working because when you locked it from the dash lock as you said, it held it closed

Righto, its been suggested elsewhere I try and coat the thing in WD40, service manual looks like its pretty easy to get the boot trim out so I'll give that a go first. Cars still under warranty so if no luck I'll get them to sort it.

It's in the log book how to do it, think you just hold the lock button down until it beeps

LC":2wunlkki said:
It's in the log book how to do it, think you just hold the lock button down until it beeps
RAID. It auto locks the doors when you go over 5mph, to prevent intruders.

The interior door locking button next to the hazard switch. With the ignition on, press and hold for a while untill you get a beep. Now, it will lock all the doors each time you set off.

Repeat to disable

Why is the Twingo's key so impressively ugly? I was pondering this the other day and asked a random acquaintance, who didn't know what car I drove, what year he thought my car was based on the key, he studied it for a while and guessed 2001.
I wouldn't disagree with him either, I think every other car I've owned has better looking keys and yet this is the newest....
Do the RS & Gordini models have the same ugly grey heap of plastic?

haha yeah they all have the same, I thought the dealer had given me the spare key at first because my mrs had a 60 plate clio imusic at the time and even that had a flip key.

Didge3":48kxpnox said:
Why is the Twingo's key so impressively ugly? I was pondering this the other day and asked a random acquaintance, who didn't know what car I drove, what year he thought my car was based on the key, he studied it for a while and guessed 2001.
I wouldn't disagree with him either, I think every other car I've owned has better looking keys and yet this is the newest....
Do the RS & Gordini models have the same ugly grey heap of plastic?

well, if you were to have say a big fancy key that was just absolutely fantastic and said 133 Gordini... don't you think people would notice that, and it might be an advertisement for someone to kick your backside in and have your keys and car??? not sure really, not thought this one through but i'm still typing dom. hahahah, got to admit though how a key looks is at the very bottom of my reasons to buy a car. i'd rather someone not know going by my key alone wether or not i had say a megane 230 turbo that may or not be souped up to the eyeballs or a 1998 1.2 clio dynamique.

oscar":dsfhc3wg said:
well, if you were to have say a big fancy key that was just absolutely fantastic and said 133 Gordini... don't you think people would notice that, and it might be an advertisement for someone to kick your backside in and have your keys and car??? not sure really, not thought this one through but i'm still typing dom. hahahah, got to admit though how a key looks is at the very bottom of my reasons to buy a car. i'd rather someone not know going by my key alone wether or not i had say a megane 230 turbo that may or not be souped up to the eyeballs or a 1998 1.2 clio dynamique.

It certainly isn't an issue, as you said low on the list of buying cars, hence why I've owned the car 3 weeks and only just really noticed how ugly it is, and this is only because one of my friends pointed out how ugly the key was.
You make a good point about it making it look less worthy of theft though :)

Flip keys are impressive until they break, simple plastic and rubber can't go wrong my mom and dads merc has like a infared thing and they can only get a replacement directly from merc for over £500+

LC":19qeponh said:
Flip keys are impressive until they break, simple plastic and rubber can't go wrong my mom and dads merc has like a infared thing and they can only get a replacement directly from merc for over £500+
My first car, (a 2006 Punto) had a flip key, it suffered much abuse from my school years when sat in boring lessons repeatedly flicking the key in and out (as a 17 year old would :roll: ). However again good point, there isn't a vast amount to go wrong with our ugly, bulky keys.

your key will be working whilst all the other fancy ones are breaking around you. little turbocharged cheap snail lives on ahoy!!!!

oscar":1ah4p8fs said:
your key will be working whilst all the other fancy ones are breaking around you. little turbocharged cheap snail lives on ahoy!!!!

unutepyt.jpg

I've got a scangauge off a forum member. Works great, using it as a boost, water and MPG gauge. Working fine, only issue is it doesn't turn off with the ignition, I have to unplug it which is quite annoying. I've looked into how it shuts down and its supposed to shut off when it sees 0RPM, but when I switch the engine off the gauge always shows 290RPM so it doesn't shut down.
I changed the shutdown mode to volts, this makes it switch off when it sees the voltage drop (when the alternator stops charging essentially) but this doesn't work either because when I switch the engine off the voltage it reports drops from about 14.4v to 13.9v which doesn't switch it off.
Any ideas?