Wiring behind steering wheel

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotchiguy

Reaction score
Ok, so this afternoon I wired up the cruise control and speed limiter as shown in the how to section. And it's really good, works well. However.. my dipped beams and foglights no longer work... When set to auto the dipped come on fine but turn the switch and they go off. Likewise the front fogs, when I flick on main beam they come on fine but the switch does nothing.... Any clues as to which wire or connector I have put back in the wrong place? Thanks

enjoy getting a sore head, the first thing you do is take pictures of the set up of anything you work on before you start, so if you get lost ... you have a reference. as for the electrics themselves, i couldn't tell you the set up of the top of my head. however, i'll get you a wiring diagram.

A16 ABS control module
B220 Ambient light sensor
31 Battery -
30 Battery +
S13 Brake pedal position (BPP) switch
S100 Central locking master switch
CAN-H Controller area network (data bus) high
CAN-L Controller area network (data bus) low
EP2 Earth point 2
EP4 Earth point 4
EP5 Earth point 5
EP6 Earth point 6
EP9 Earth point 9
A207 Electronic stability program (ESP) control module
A35 Engine control module (ECM)
K2 Fog lamp relay
E14 Fog lamp, left
E15 Fog lamp, right
H20 Fog lamps ON warning lamp, front or single
F Fuse
X28-I Fuse box/relay plate, engine bay 1
X28-V Fuse box/relay plate, engine bay 3
X28-II Fuse box/relay plate, fascia 1
X28-IV Fuse box/relay plate, fascia 2
Fs Fuse, satellite
S27 Hazard warning lamps switch
M35 Headlamp adjustment motor, left or single
M36 Headlamp adjustment motor, right
S217 Headlamp adjustment switch
A7 Headlamp assembly, left
A9 Headlamp assembly, right
H2 Headlamp high beam warning lamp
H55 Headlamp low beam ON warning lamp
K41 Headlamp low beam relay
E1 Headlamp, left
E2 Headlamp, right
K79-I Ignition main circuits relay 1
K79-II Ignition main circuits relay 2
15 Ignition switch - ignition ON
H8 Indicator lamp, left front
H10 Indicator lamp, left rear
H9 Indicator lamp, right front
H11 Indicator lamp, right rear
H13 Indicator repeater lamp, left
H14 Indicator repeater lamp, right
H6 Indicator warning lamp, left or single
H7 Indicator warning lamp, right
R4 Instrument illumination rheostat
A5 Instrument panel
A75 Instrumentation control module
E9 Licence plate lamp, left or single
E10 Licence plate lamp, right
A11-I Multifunction control module 1
A11-II Multifunction control module 2
A81 Power steering control module
E18 Rear fog lamp, left or single
E19 Rear fog lamp, right
H21 Rear fog lamps ON warning lamp
A8 Rear lamp assembly, left
A10 Rear lamp assembly, right
S28 Reverse gear position switch
E20 Reversing lamp, left or single
E21 Reversing lamp, right
E5 Side lamp, left
E6 Side lamp, right
A236 Steering column function control module
H85 Stop lamp, centre
H3 Stop lamp, left
H4 Stop lamp, right
K167 Stop lamps relay
E7 Tail lamp, left
E8 Tail lamp, right
A57 Transmission control module (TCM)
S249 Transmission range (TR) switch
B203 Windscreen wiper rain sensor

303722.jpg

303723.jpg

advice - work backwards, and if you can't figure out what you've done wrong or cant read those wiring diagrams they way they should be read then don't touch anything else and get it to an automotive electrician and show him those diagrams!

The lights arent directly connected to the switches.
The switches connect to the UCH body control ecu. The ecu then controls the lights... be that at your request from a switched command or from an auto/timed function.

I must say that I have never tried the auto lights whist having the fogs/main beam linked.

Where and how have you wired in the relay?

Just been out for another play. Really strange symptoms. Engine off, turn the end of the stalk one click, sidelights come on as normal, two clicks, still sidelights but nothing more. Foglight twist does nothing either. However, turn off sidelights and pull back on the stalk to turn main beams on, (and fogs) and when you release the dip beams seem to "latch" if you see what I mean, and stay on! No sidelights, just dipped.

All off, turn engine on, sidelights and dip beams come on automatically, main beam up, main beam down as normal.

Thanks for the diagrams oscar, I can sort of begin to understand what's happening, but not enough for them to be useful to me!! If I can't sort it myself then like you say, I'll just have to get an auto sparky to sort it.

The relay for the headlights follows your thread exactly Neil, I've spliced into the right hand main beam wire, 12V and then sent power to each of the foglights directly behind them.

I can't think what can have caused this other than me not putting a connector back correctly when refitting the bits around the steering wheel, I haven't put the trim on around it yet, but there is nothing at all obvious, just the one 12 pin or so connector that plugs into the stalk. My new cruise control wires are totally separate.

I've checked the various fuses too but since there clearly isn't anything wrong with the lights themselves I don't know what is the problem. I fitted the relay a few days ago and there was no problem at all with controlling the dip beam with the stalk.

I did undo the battery today whilst playing with the wiring, could I have put it back incorrectly or inadvertently shorted something? I've fitted the relay inside the engine bay fusebox, maybe I disturbed something whilst doing that...?

neil, i've pm'd you. you understand the electrical side a lot more than i do :) neil will have a browse through various electrical wiring renault diagrams and try and find the best one for you using my auto-data login.

I'm satisfied it's not anything behind the steering wheel so I'm going to put the surrounds back on in a few minutes. I tried to check that large plug for continuity but none of the pins seems to have any! There must be some electronics or resistors inside.

It's the weirdest thing! I think I've narrowed the problem to being that the dipped and sidelights can't be on together. By fiddling with the switches there is no way they can ever be on together.

This is killing me! :evil: Just spent an hour trying to put the steering column back together...clearly I must have broken a lot of stuff when I took it off as nothing is going back quite right, or at least one side does but not the other then vice versa! I'm satisfied it's not the relay I fitted because it does the same thing with that disabled. This £15 cruise control fitting has turned into a nightmare! However much for an auto electrician for an hour, plus a new revcounter as I've broken the clip for the back, and goodness knows what else, probably a new ECU to get the lights working! :evil:

Have you got autolights enabled? If so, switch it off.

Unplug the power to the new additional relay. And disconnect the wires to it and tape up the ends to separate them

Headlight flash- should only flash the main beam
Sidelights on- only sidelights
Dip beam on- sidelights and dip beam filament lit
Dip beam on and also headlight flash- side lights, dip and main beam filaments all lit
Main beam- sidelights and main beam filament lit
I think front fogs should work with dip and/or main beam... Not sure about with sidelights

Power to the relay through a fuse and connect this to pin 30 on the relay

Headlights onto main beam and check you have +12v between the cable you connected to the MAIN beam and battery -ve. If good, connect to terminal 85 of the relay

The cable from from chassis ground goes onto pin 86 of the relay, to make a circuit through the relay coil when main beam has power. Main beam on, Now, check you have +12v at terminal 87 which should now be live

Auto lights disabled.

Relay totally disconnected, all wires removed & taped up.

Headlight flash - only main beam
Sidelights on - only sidelights
Dip beam on - only sidelights, and that's all that's indicated on the dash.
Flash still works fine.

Twist fogs, nothing happens front or rear. With relay connected it's exactly the same except the fogs come on fine with the main beam, and then when coming off main beam (assuming sidelights and dip beams switched off) the dip beams latch and stay on.

I really don't think it's anything to do with the relay as it worked perfectly before I fitted the cruise yesterday.

This sort of latching only seems to happen with the ignition off. Perhaps it's just an anomaly. Where is the relay for the dipped beam? Is this something I can test with a view to replacing?

gotchiguy":2nwm9w70 said:
Auto lights disabled.

Relay totally disconnected, all wires removed & taped up.

Headlight flash - only main beam good
Sidelights on - only sidelights good
Dip beam on - only sidelights, and that's all that's indicated on the dash. broken main beam
Flash still works fine. I bet dip isnt coming on as well as main beam

Twist fogs, nothing happens front or rearno dip beam, no fogs. With relay connected it's exactly the same except the fogs come on fine with the main beam, and then when coming off main beam (assuming sidelights and dip beams switched off) the dip beams latch and stay on.

I really don't think it's anything to do with the relay as it worked perfectly before I fitted the cruise yesterday.

This sort of latching only seems to happen with the ignition off. Perhaps it's just an anomaly. Where is the relay for the dipped beam? Is this something I can test with a view to replacing?

technical-stuff-f120/twingo-and-wind-fuses-and-relays-t10811.html

from that last post, it sounds like either the fuses or mini relay for the dip beam circuit.
The curve ball comes when you connect the new relay and your now supplying power from an different direction. This, possibly coupled with a poor earth could be powering the dip, which Iisnt powered through its own correct maner. I bet if you had pulled the fuse for the new relay, you would loose the latch and the lights will go off

Check the fuses then, swap the dip and main beam mini relays over and repeat your tests above

Thanks Neil, I'll go and try that. Unfortunately the dropbox link in the thread you linked doesn't seem to work any more?

Edit: Looking at the picture in your main to fogs thread, I have removed the relevant relays and tested them with a 12v supply and they all seem to work fine. Not easy getting them out of there!! Is the glovebox supposed to come out for better access somehow?

It does work. Litteraly just downloaded it. I would upload a screen shot but keeps binning out

Check glovebox fuse
13- third row down near the middle 30amp . This feeds the relay and therefore both the next fuses
34 and 35- second row from the bottom, right hand two. Both 15amp

Relays are above the fuses, arranged in three rows
Main beam. Rear fog
Windows 30amp. Sidelights. Dip beam
Heater fan 30 amp. Front fogs. Brake lights

Checked those fuses and the relays and there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of the relays. Interestingly, with only the main beam relay pulled, pulling back on the stalk and letting go still latches the dipped beam. This doesn't happen when the engine is running. I haven't yet tested whether pulling the fuse from my new relay affects it but I don't think it will.... I'm leaning towards it being a problem with the stalk itself or the plug it connects to....

gotchiguy":2ehg25vb said:
I'm leaning towards it being a problem with the stalk itself or the plug it connects to....
Possible. Im now wondering if the dip beam latching on is the "see you home headlights"???

I've not tried using it so cant comment on how they work on the Twingo. Seen:-engine off and lights off, a flash gives 30 seconds of headlights which I presume is dip. Extra flashes give more time up to two minutes... if that sounds like it, were back to the stalk area.

Yep that sounds exactly right. If anyone with a standard Twingo could confirm that that happens for them then we can really narrow it down to the stalk area because then both automatic and see me home functions are clearly working normally meaning the only problem can be with the stalk or the wiring just behind it.

Now just need to get the relays back in..... :shock:

Sorry for the run around there. But I had forgotten about the see you home function.

I know my extra relay has been great and couldnt see how it was upsetting things if yours was the same. However, I also know that a dodgy earth can do some funky things as current takes the easy way home, so was trying to rule out your (my) wiring mod.... which is highly likely to be good.

No run around at all, whatever is wrong I've caused it so any help anyone gives I am very grateful for!! I'm not sure how to start with the stalk or the wiring.

Because I am a bit of an idiot, I did pull quite hard on the wires that go into the back of the connector which plugs into the stalk, so I'm very tempted to start there as opposed to just replacing the stalk itself although that may be easier!!

Any suggestions as to how to inspect the connector, or replace if that would be easier?

And I've still got to get those relays back in some how..