Yotah´s RS Cup "Nurburgring Edition" -> 204hp F4R832 swap.

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rented a Clio Cup this weekend at the RIng, got some wet laps and some less wet laps.
Cup chassis, everything completely stock, and rubbish Hankook Ventus S1 tires which couldn't stand my driving pressure for more than 1 and 1/2 lap ...
12 laps covered, some decent laptimes but definitely too many people on the track. My best laptime was achieved with a yellow flag and a very slow Mercedes stopping all of us in a corner, and I had to overtake 37 cars during that lap!

Here is the wet lap, following a friend at the beginning, then on my own with an E36 on my tail, then chasing the E36, which then does Steilstrecke and the Karussel completely, huh, sideways!!!!

2 more videos to come.

[youtube]8QPUvAv5bMQ[/youtube]

Videos 2 and 3, on the dry, cathcing up with a 996 Turbo S, and also fighting with a quite quick Civic in the last video :)
Tires are dying, as you can hear from the screaming :D

[youtube]4Wnb95F0nUs[/youtube]

[youtube]vns3Ox1DJ6U[/youtube]

They were :D

Rubbish Hankook crap... I got an email this morning from the rental company, they are changing them today, they were new on Saturday...

to be fair, they are probably more than good enough for most people on a quick blast at road pace. Even most long track open pit days would only see 5-10 miles between stops and you completely monstered it for 20+ :) Comparing them to R888 was always going to be a letdown

I was not even going to try to compare them to semi slicks, but honestly for road tires, they´re just too quick to give up... Contis are much better, Michelin PSS (for wider sizes) are a world apart also...

No news from the guy, but it´s holiday time in France so I´m not expecting anything before September honestly. And if he doesn´t answer, anyway I´m building a few things during my holidays this summer to strengthen the car before I fit it with a full welded cage.

yotah1":9bu2a2ul said:
I was not even going to try to compare them to semi slicks, but honestly for road tires, they´re just too quick to give up... Contis are much better, Michelin PSS (for wider sizes) are a world apart also...
Damn, I was planning on some stretched Nankang tires for some tracksdays :lol:

No but in all seriousness, I thought Hankook was pretty decent since they're a sponsor for the drift series in the US.

yotah1":fet0h0j9 said:
Drift = sliding ...

Track = grip.

Veeeeerrrrryyyyy different worlds :D
Yes but still.. ah screw it. I'll take your words for granted from the car goeroe ninja biker (reference to FB) :p

I changed the conti's to hankooks and get on with them better definately feel better in the good old English weather haha!

Well I don't know how they are on wet roads, but we're 6 guys from my forum, doing several trackdays per year with very different cars, and we all got to rent the same Clio on the same tires, and all came to the same conclusion, they are worthless and offer very minimum grip when they get hot. But anyway, on the road, we barely ever get our tires to being really hot like on track, so they may be good for daily use, but really useless once you push them a bit into their limits...

holliedynamique":7n3eavb2 said:
I changed the conti's to hankooks and get on with them better definately feel better in the good old English weather haha!

Not sure if this is right or not but perhaps your comment isn't entirely relevant?

Am I right in saying you're comparing the continentals on your 15"/16" original wheels which arent sport contact 3s with hankooks 17" equivalents? If you are comparing the sport contact 3s which were on the 17" when you bought them then weren't they shot, and again not a fair or equivalent comparison?

If so... Not a like for like comparison by any means...?

Judge of peace is and always will be the laptime, for me anyway :)

And on that bombshell, it's time to go to bed ...

Took delivery of the manifold tonight, so I'll try to fit it overnight if possible just to give it a run and see what sound I get out of it :)

The suspensions are off the car and will be shipped today to get serviced. For the manifold however, I will get it fitted by my Renault dealer in Adenau when I get back from holidays. You almost need to take the engine out to be able to change it as the space is way too tight, and you must remove the tranny anyway. So I won't do it myself, and at the same time, the guys will completely remove the aircon and fit the R2 Evo brakes for me, this way I will be able to enjoy a good beer while they work :D

you don't need to remove the engine... but sipping beer and let others doo the dirty work is also a good plan :) at least at a garage in adenau you can be sure they know what they're doing...

They take care of the servicing of all the Cup Clios for the VLn championship, and they are the ones who were in charge for all german Renault Sport events for the past 15 years, so yep, the car will be in good hands.

They will pull the engine out to change the accessories belt anyway and do a few other things, so it will be much easier to put the exhaust on like this.