Big brakes Clio tce

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singlespeed":2jbb6sbm said:
Westy":2jbb6sbm said:
Nope only for the twingo, they do,grooved or drilled disks, but as disk forms part if hub on Clio no biggest brakes available yet by any brake companies like brembo, wilwood etc, it can easily be done many other cars have a similar set up, it's about supply and demand I guess...

So, it sounds like it's the discs which are the sticky point to an upgrade. Find a suitably large disc which will fit on the hub and work from there.

Radial mount calippers (Hi-Spec or Brembo style 4 pot) could be easily adapted to suit a larger disc and offset by drilling a new adaptor bracket... Hi-Spec sell plane adaptors with diferent offsets and diameters
Having just loooked at the discs, theres nothing particularly special about them which would mean an alternative standard production disc could probably be used. There still 4x100 mounting bolts, with a 60.1mm center bore like the Twingo's

One of the Clio172/182 kits may fit, or Twingo R2, probably with different adaptors, depending on the position of where your original calipper is bolted onto the hub

As a DIY approach, have a look at some reference guides, like the Pagid online catalogue and idealy find a disc with the same number of mounting bolts, center bore. Being as your probably changing the calippers to radial mounted, look for a disc thickness and an offset between the hub face and disc center line which would work with your chosen calipper/adaptor.

Check the piston areas between your original and prospective replacement calippers as getting it wrong would make it completely pointless

Wether anything larger is actualy needed or not is still open for debate, except for looks :?

singlespeed":24x7cz8o said:
singlespeed":24x7cz8o said:
Westy":24x7cz8o said:
Nope only for the twingo, they do,grooved or drilled disks, but as disk forms part if hub on Clio no biggest brakes available yet by any brake companies like brembo, wilwood etc, it can easily be done many other cars have a similar set up, it's about supply and demand I guess...

So, it sounds like it's the discs which are the sticky point to an upgrade. Find a suitably large disc which will fit on the hub and work from there.

Radial mount calippers (Hi-Spec or Brembo style 4 pot) could be easily adapted to suit a larger disc and offset by drilling a new adaptor bracket... Hi-Spec sell plane adaptors with diferent offsets and diameters
Having just loooked at the discs, theres nothing particularly special about them which would mean an alternative standard production disc could probably be used. There still 4x100 mounting bolts, with a 60.1mm center bore like the Twingo's

One of the Clio172/182 kits may fit, or Twingo R2, probably with different adaptors, depending on the position of where your original calipper is bolted onto the hub

As a DIY approach, have a look at some reference guides, like the Pagid online catalogue and idealy find a disc with the same number of mounting bolts, center bore. Being as your probably changing the calippers to radial mounted, look for a disc thickness and an offset between the hub face and disc center line which would work with your chosen calipper/adaptor.

Check the piston areas between your original and prospective replacement calippers as getting it wrong would make it completely pointless

Wether anything larger is actualy needed or not is still open for debate, except for looks :?
Of course Its debatable in regards to function, after all the contact patch and pressure needed to stop the car is staying the same.... So wider wheels and Master cylinder upgrades needed to make it an improvement from a functional point of view

on twingo gt, my friend is putting on peugeot 406 brembo calipers whit twingo rs 280mm, maybe you can do that too on your clio

Interesting.... Didnt think pug would have fitted, had 206gti on my saxo.... Very snugg 266mm under 14's.

Might take a look at this.

Most radial mounted Brembo 4 pot calipers could be made to fit, much like any Hi-Spec, AP Racing or Wilwood caliper with radial mounts. Its all about finding some with a suitable piston area to go with your master cylinder, then finding a suitable width disc, with a simillar size diameter to the original. If need be, a two piece disc, with a custom bell offset and a pair of calipper adaptors drilled to line up the caliper over the disc would sort it

Porsche Boxter S/ 968 rear calipers are ok over VW 312mm X 25mm discs but are on their limit for pad coverage over MG ZT190 325mm discs. I can't remember the piston area for them and there probably way bigger than you want or need as with 325mm, they just fit inside 17" wheels

Also, don't forget about clearance between the outside face of the caliper and the inside of your wheel.

singlespeed said:
Most radial mounted Brembo 4 pot calipers could be made to fit, much like any Hi-Spec, AP Racing or Wilwood caliper with radial mounts. Its all about finding some with a suitable piston area to go with your master cylinder, then finding a suitable width disc, with a simillar size diameter to the original. If need be, a two piece disc, with a custom bell offset and a pair of calipper adaptors drilled to line up the caliper over the disc would sort it

Porsche Boxter S/ 968 rear calipers are ok over VW 312mm X 25mm discs but are on their limit for pad coverage over MG ZT190 325mm discs. I can't remember the piston area for them and there probably way bigger than you want or need as with 325mm, they just fit inside 17" wheels

Also, don't forget about clearance between the outside face of the caliper and the inside of your wheel.

This may be an add on at the end of work done already if funds can stretch....

The Grand-ScénicII (from 2l on) has 300mm discs with 4x100 pcd. I did upgrade my MeganeII from 280mm to 300mm simply by using the 300mm brackets for the calipers. Maybe also a solution for the ClioIII.

https://my.twingo.rs/v/oliver/megane/brake_upgrade/

But the ScénicII has only 54mm calipers, compared to the LagunaII/III that has 57mm. This is the same difference of the ClioII 172/182 and the Twingo RS. The Clio uses 54mm calipers, the Twingo RS 57mm...

Can you fit those Brembo caliper covers on a twingo rs cup or is there not enough room between the brake and the alloy. If anyone had done it with the normal 17 cup alloys, have you got a pic?

Araf":22uizshr said:
Here you go. All the big brakes that a 1.2 will ever need, and for under a tenner....

$(KGrHqRHJB!E-EpGmjDbBPo!Gk8nJg~~60_12.JPG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-3D-Brembo-Look-Brake-Caliper-Cover-Kit-Front-Rear-Red-/270967961204?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f16f2f674

Kinda want these for my 133 now, will have to measure up, and respray too xD

Moomin_Man":1mmnvm74 said:
Kinda want these for my 133 now, will have to measure up, and respray too xD

You really don't! I wouldn't have posted, if I thought anyone would be serious about them. They are just about as naff as you can get. You'll be wanting one of these for your exhaust next!

hello-kitty-exhaust-pipe.jpeg

Oh right got any ideas then on how to get the caliper look... Relatively cheaply.

Brakes, and cheap equals dangerous.... Hi spec and ksport have come back to me about brakes, hi spec would measure up, fabricate then fit on another day. They would be able to power coat them yellow for me too, which is the Colour I'd prefer.

KSport seem to think they have a set that would fit, I'm not so sure about this and havnt enquirer further yet.

Bet some girls like that exhaust, it's cool for a girly girl. :)

Westy":1vv23nnz said:
Brakes, and cheap equals dangerous....
Theres no way to do a 4pot and ~300mm disc conversion cheap :?
300mm discs are going to be a lot more than the 280mm standard ones, even if you go for a larger standard disc from another model. Then, some machining may be needed unless the center bore and PCD etc is ok
A set of cheap 4pot brembos from a breakers or ebay may well need a refurb and new seals as neglected 4pots tend to get a stuck piston or two, so budget on that before diving in.
Adaptor brackets would need drilling, using off the shelf adaptors from Hi-spec etc... Or, machine ones to suit
New high tensile bolts for the caliper to adaptor bracket
New pads to fit the new caliper.
Highly likely new hoses as the end fitting or length will be wrong for the standard ones.
Fluid and fitting costs.
Spacers or new wheels may also be required if theres not enough clearance behind the wheel spokes.

The if they fit (and you can find some), the cheapest way to larger brakes would probably be 300mm Laguna discs and use the adaptor brackets which mounted the single piston standard caliper onto the Laguna hub carrier... If they fit onto the Twingo hub carrier and they position the caliper correctly over the disc remains to be seen.

Well if anyone gets it done, I'd love to see a pic and find out how much it cost. I'm no mechanic so I wouldn't be able to do it myself. So I guess I might have to add a bit more labour charge to the price you guys get. :)

Oliver":27va84bj said:
But what´s the advantage of the Laguna discs vs. the Grand Scenic ones?

Laguna 300mm

GrandScenicII 300mm
View attachment 1

I think the 3mm difference in off-set are not really a problem, if you can get 4 holes....I think the Twingo133 has 280x24mm with same off-set.
I mentioned the Laguna disc as I knew there was a 300mm disc option for it. I didn't know the offset, thickness or PCD of the disc.

If going for a 4pot conversion, a larger disc offset would allow the calipper to sit further inboard, partly compensating for the extra width of the caliper due to the pistons on the outside of the disc. Two piece discs and bells with a usable offset would be an option, although that would be expensive compared to an 'off the shelf' one piece disc

Hi-Spec can design and put together a nice set of big brakes for almost very car...they are nice and helpful guys, give them a try.
they helped a lot with my brakes,they custom fabricated an special hub for my set, so it clears the inside of my wheels, also send me an "slim" st of calipers.

I think if you stroll a little bit through the Renault spare parts catalogue, you may find some bigger options that are still relatively cheap as long as you stay on floating callipers. And don´t forget if you increase the the diameter - or better said area of the calliper-piston - you should also increase the diameter of the master brake cylinder, so that the pedal way stays the same...