chassis bracing interest

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
this ones for the more track focused guys out there.

i'm currently in the process of having designed for me something along the lines of this, the below picture will give you the idea i'm looking at. i'm only linking this picture so that you get a rough idea of the design, completed product will be dimensionally correct for the twingo chassis (Wind / GT / 133 variants + 1.2 for rob)

so it goes from chassis rail to chassis rail on the underside of the car, the thinking behind this is that it eliminates mid chassis flex. on cornering this will induce over steer with ESP off on track days, so eliminating this is certainly a good safety feature.
alongside coilovers, a rear strut bar, a front strut bar and a rear anti roll bar + uprated front drop link bushing you will end up with one hell of a chassis!!!

the material will be a strong, lightweight aircraft grade aluminium! leave the material selection up to the engineers in the CNC shop though!

i'll be having this CNC machined in 2 weeks time, and then i'll have it painted in my chosen colour which is obviously going to be takata green or midnight purple :)

what i'm proposing is once it's been made and fitted onto my chassis rails (this will require drilling and tapping a thread, any good mechanic can do this for you for less than 1 hours labour if you're not confident) i will take pictures of the finnished article and if anybody wants. no price yet, but you will have the option to have it painted at mates rates prices from the boys in our bodyshop or to have it sent unpainted. we also have an option to have it powdercoated and the final prices will include postage to the usual uk standard postal areas.

i won't be making a penny of this, so it'll cost what it costs!

h3_Tfm_UJ2_KY_fgfgfdsg.jpg

feel free to make a list if anyone would be interested. i'm hoping to have it in double figures or at worst case scenario the lower 100's. if the price can be right, it can be yours in 3 weeks!

1 - oscar ( price dependant :p )

Sounds really good mate , will have to see much 4 point cage will cost be before hand :\

sullii94":3165psci said:
2 - sullii94 (price depending) :D

And front strut bar? From where?!

i'm sure there was one cutting around that a company had made a while back? could always have one made up if this should work out

Rivnuts would probably be worth looking into for attaching onto the rails.
Drill hole, insert rivnut and form it, leaving a threaded hole.

My exhaust would be too low for flat cross bracing.

the general shape of it in terms of the layout is the same, but the one that jims designing me isn't flat :D it comes down at 25-30 degree angle from the rails. i'll send you mines up once i have it to see if it'll clear your exhaust, supersprint you have is it?

How far down is it going to sit below the car?
Would it be a problem over speed bumps if the cars lowered? :/

no, it won't be any lower than the rear beam so it'll all be good man. that was the first thing we took into account, i'm not going to make any claims that it's a special design. it's literally a carbon copy of the design shown in that picture, just made to size and altered slightly. will have pictures up the moment i get the first one out of the CNC machine in 2 weeks time

do yous want me to ask about a front strut brace being made up ? i'm happy to do that too i suppose. with the diffuser and my mugen wing i'll be inundated every weekend but sack it !

Ahh that's fine then, just wondered how low it'd sit :)
You may aswell open a shop selling twingo parts to people :D
And yeah Deffo! Don't think there's one ready to buy, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough? :lol:

let's get them made first that's the hard part, the design will always there though if anyone in the future wants one on request

OK I'm interested :D ,

I don't have any issues with the rear beam and I've got a anti roll bar fitted so if it's above that then no problem.

As for the mounting, is there no way you can use the existing chassis mounting point at the front - where the triangle plates fits - the one which connects the front sub frame to the body??, that would tie your front sub frame in as well - it's just a thought.

As for coating I would get it nylon coated - costs about £20 for something of that size.

Rob.

yes rob, that'll be the next one to go down. i want them both seperate from each other! one for the mid section and the triangle shaped one (to keep it simple) at a later date one at a time you know :)

no worries, just update this list below if you want one copy and paste it and add your name onto it as a maybe or price dependant. you can all say yes or no when i have pictures with it mounted to the underside of my car, i'll get it up on the ramp so that i can get the best snaps no driveway selfies

1 - oscar (price dependant :p)
2 - sullii94 (price dependant) :D
3 - Spitfire1 (price dependant)
4 - mwalsh (maybe)
5 - Matthias (price dependant)

1 - oscar (price dependant )
2 - sullii94 (price dependant)
4 - mwalsh (maybe)
6 - Roberts (maybe)

Why is it that when I get into something, more and more good stuff comes along... More money lol!

oscar":1y5t4gp6 said:
no worries, just update this list below if you want one copy and paste it and add your name onto it as a maybe or price dependant. you can all say yes or no when i have pictures with it mounted to the underside of my car, i'll get it up on the ramp so that i can get the best snaps no driveway selfies

1 - oscar (price dependant :p)
2 - sullii94 (price dependant) :D
4 - mwalsh (maybe)

Do i not count?!?!? :(

So I repeat, I'm interested price depandant....

1 - oscar (price dependant )
2 - sullii94 (price dependant)
4 - mwalsh (maybe)
6 - Roberts (maybe)
7 - Mr_Ben (price dependant)