chassis bracing interest

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matthias":2rsdrio7 said:
Exciting! Don't forget about the 133 owners as well, would love to see these underbraces - strutbraces for GT and RS models :) But above all, take your time and develop something good and something that will perform well, I'm willing to pay for that kind of thing :) Keep up the good work!

it's the same 'chassis' on an RS and a GT / 1.2 in terms of the true chassis ... so the initial brace i'm making is going to fit all twingo models. as for the more complicated front brace that joins the subframe to the chassis rails, martin (suprtmrtino1 on here) has agreed to let us use his car for development for the front brace for the RS-133 and i'm using my car to develop the GT front brace!

Drawn up a front bar in 2D CAD, will post it on here for you to check out later. basically follows the principle of Motorsport/Ktecs bolt In Solid Top mount, the bolts on top for a strut bar made for it.

https://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4932&appid=2
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLyLo8S-21Zd4-7bo_he1O-bb_qlqryIFcKjT4DTowwvN3HWSmuA

But would work for the twingo 133 brace
https://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4851&catid=&appid=18&pic=2

Would just need a flat plate larger then the mounts to be made with 3 holes to match up to the top mounts, and those with adjustable top mounts would use the same principle. Larger flat plate that would be sandwiched but instead of 3 holes it would have a curved slot carved out of the flat, roughly 60% of the circumference to allow the camber months to be loosened and camber adjusted.
The strut bar would be welded to the flat plates and would have a true front brace for the front suspension

cant add PDF's on here :(

that looks good man! :)

so on my lunch break i got a little bit bored today. found some scrap metal and decided i was going to weld a mock up which is in no shape or form dimensionally accurate ... infact, it was merely a demonstration that i mean business.... perhaps not in the most professional way but still.... not too bad an attempt for 40 minutes work and a mock layer of an old can of red spraypaint just for the sake of not being 3 different colours. also the welds are one run, didn't grind them down. i merely wanted it to hold so that i could have something to show you.

none of this is dimensionally correct. the 45 degree end half box plates are the size of krusty the clown's shoes right now, but that'll do. you get the basic idea don't you? i didn't have time to cut them to a reasonable size, so i welded together what i had and in the 45 minute break i had :)

we have two choices. firstly we can either opt for this sort of idea using a CDS (cold drawn steel) pipe and CDS end half box plates (or whatever you wish to call this) as seen in the picture below or secondly, we can use the same end plates which as you can see is the same idea as seen on the coupes des alpes incorporating the same end plates to the correct size whilst running a strong CDS straight bar with rounded edges (coupes des alpes style) both will be equally as strong.

40 minutes with a mig welder, scrap metal all whilst eating a KFC :

IMG_20140507_172206.jpg

Impressive, if they are going to be the same strength then either is good for me as it's under the car therefore unseen by 90% of people.

can i just say ^^^^ that looks awful. i am in no way proud of that piece of crap, but i did think that it would be a good idea to show what i could do in 40 minutes with the wrong materials which just so happen to be scrap bits laying around the workbench in the shop. given a little time, it will be perfected dimensionally.

more than happy to give everyone 2 choices in which they'd like to order. neil said that his exhaust sits lower than normal, we can also get around that situation for anyone else who has that problem, all we would need is a rough measurement of how low the exhaust sits in relation to the chassis rails!

I mean impressive for a very quick test job, I realise it was a tester as I can read...

i know man lol :) you've got to love the huge mounting plates though! as long as a can of lager dude :D

will have another 'rough idea' tomorrow for you guys to look at. different shape, double sided. more like an X brace so a little bit stronger and sturdier. will have the chance to get the car up on the ramp so may be able to get it fitted, if it's not fitted tomorrow it will get fitted on friday but will still have pictures for you all tomorrow. :D

in regards to the front strut brace, i'm going to have one made for the GT models, but i'm going to ask martin (supermrtino1) very very very very very nicely if he wouldn't mind allowing me to use his car for precise measurements for making the 133's front brace or maybe the twins (Twins go)

I was asked nicely so I'm on board

Supermrtino1":26azr43q said:
in regards to the front strut brace, i'm going to have one made for the GT models, but i'm going to ask martin (supermrtino1) very very very very very nicely if he wouldn't mind allowing me to use his car for precise measurements for making the 133's front brace or maybe the twins (Twins go)

won't be playing with you on the backroads anymore once you've got a strut brace, chassis bracing x 2 and your other 'things' that we are planning on doing to the next Jap (ish) twingo

oscar":3m6lae5e said:
Supermrtino1":3m6lae5e said:

won't be playing with you on the backroads anymore once you've got a strut brace, chassis bracing x 2 and your other 'things' that we are planning on doing to the next Jap (ish) twingo

Haha come the end of June at our meet I would like to think I'll only see you when I pull into a lay by :D :D

went to see the man in the know about these things today, we got some measurements made up on the chassis. it's surprisingly light, hole drilled and ready to mount onto the chassis. paints still drying and curing as we speak and hasn't even had it's final coat of black let's not even get onto the clear coat lol.

mr fabricator should be along soon enough to say hello to you all :p, this ones not my handy work. the design will be perfected soon enough. we believe a hollow pipe is the best option to go for, it offers a very rigid and high tensile resistance to the twisting force, it also clears the exhaust very well and shouldn't scrape (it will sit at the same level as the steering control arms. a good bit higher infact, and the same level as the rear beam fully laden approximately but there will be plenty of clearance. if your twingo is slammed then everything will scrape i suppose

IMG_20140508_WA0000.jpg

forgot to upload these prototypes. the joining brackets will be shorter, but i suppose that's what developments all about getting things right. not bothering to tidy it up for now, purely because there is no point at this stage!
IMG_20140517_174010_1.jpg

here is a size reference
IMG_20140517_174143.jpg

no, i'm not hoovering the old old old old carpet in my garage :p

mwalsh":3otgqd2m said:
I was looking at their strut bars - wow must be gold plated. :shock:

I've been in contact with K-tec about their top front strut brace, the bottom line is it will not fit, the height between the top of the strut mount and the scuttle panel is 45mm but the K-tec requires 80mm which would mean cutting the plastic - which is a no go.

I've also been speaking to Pure Motorsport, they also do a strut brace which will also fit to the K-Tec top mount and is a three piece construction, the interesting part is they are willing to supply the bar bent or straight which will help for both the GT and standard model, I'm just waiting for the kit to be put together for me which I can then assemble on the car and adjust to the correct length - feeding back the dimensions to Pure Motorsport who will then set their jig to suit. Cost wise they are £115 each - here's a link to what it looks like https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=150&model=6

You will need either a K-tec or Pure Motorsport top mount to make it fit correctly and they are made from steel.

Rob.

Spitfire1":3uuylgn7 said:
mwalsh":3uuylgn7 said:
I was looking at their strut bars - wow must be gold plated. :shock:

I've been in contact with K-tec about their top front strut brace, the bottom line is it will not fit, the height between the top of the strut mount and the scuttle panel is 45mm but the K-tec requires 80mm which would mean cutting the plastic - which is a no go.

I've also been speaking to Pure Motorsport, they also do a strut brace which will also fit to the K-Tec top mount and is a three piece construction, the interesting part is they are willing to supply the bar bent or straight which will help for both the GT and standard model, I'm just waiting for the kit to be put together for me which I can then assemble on the car and adjust to the correct length - feeding back the dimensions to Pure Motorsport who will then set their jig to suit. Cost wise they are £115 each - here's a link to what it looks like https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=150&model=6

You will need either a K-tec or Pure Motorsport top mount to make it fit correctly and they are made from steel.

Rob.

need a different flat plate for those running camber top mounts =/

mwalsh":1mziezod said:
Not sure if it would work with adjustable top mounts - although I'm sure Pure Motorsport would leave the mounting plate blank, I've got camber bolts fitted which allows me to use the solid top mounts.

Spitfire1":15gjvnza said:
mwalsh":15gjvnza said:
Not sure if it would work with adjustable top mounts - although I'm sure Pure Motorsport would leave the mounting plate blank, I've got camber bolts fitted which allows me to use the solid top mounts.

true, most likely the best and solid option but not sure if BC coilovers would work with these mounts for those that have them

Is there anyone near to Leek in Staffordshire with a GT who I could come over to me so I can check the fit of the Pure Motorsport top brace, Nick is sending me one to try in the next couple of days - it will be their standard design which is bent as see on their website, I'm going to try and fit to mine to see if it will clear the scuttle but will be a good opportunity to check a GT as well.

Rob.

Spitfire1":2mql6dzk said:
Is there anyone near to Leek in Staffordshire with a GT who I could come over to me so I can check the fit of the Pure Motorsport top brace, Nick is sending me one to try in the next couple of days - it will be their standard design which is bent as see on their website, I'm going to try and fit to mine to see if it will clear the scuttle but will be a good opportunity to check a GT as well.

Rob.

I could do it for a few £'s