Suspension Lower Balljoint Rubbers

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's alright then. It's in at Ness on Thursday so hopefully will have a result with it being sorted

bagseye":3r77sk6e said:
That's alright then. It's in at Ness on Thursday so hopefully will have a result with it being sorted
It shouldn't be a problem at all. When mine were going, I presented them with a load of examples from here and also pointed out that the Gordini on their forcourt was also sporting perished rubbers with only 4K on the clock and one meticulous owner (used to belong to Chris).

The only issue was they didn't have a replacement nut which they thought was in stock. So I got a clio 1.2 for a day which Mike let me swap for one of his demo cars :cool:

Did I hear a rumour that someone might e able to do the rubbers separately and they can be pressed or screwed in? I think it was Renault had updated the part

Or I may have read something else totally during a search

singlespeed":3mdiumjm said:
It shouldn't be a problem at all. When mine were going, I presented them with a load of examples from here and also pointed out that the Gordini on their forcourt was also sporting perished rubbers with only 4K on the clock and one meticulous owner (used to belong to Chris).

The only issue was they didn't have a replacement nut which they thought was in stock. So I got a clio 1.2 for a day which Mike let me swap for one of his demo cars :cool:

i'll refer back to this then when i go down there. what annoys me is when the dealers play dumb when there is an obvious problem. Thats why people feel like they rip them off all the time.

And my thought is to write to renault, as i have a feeling i'll be back in next year with the same problem with zero warranty!!

bagseye":3fnuyf3o said:
singlespeed":3fnuyf3o said:

i'll refer back to this then when i go down there. what annoys me is when the dealers play dumb when there is an obvious problem. Thats why people feel like they rip them off all the time.

And my thought is to write to renault, as i have a feeling i'll be back in next year with the same problem with zero warranty!!
Just a thought, but in tha case it may be worth while making a small contribution to the cost of the part yourself :?

If a part is replaced completely FOC under waranty, it is deemed to be covered as part of the original vehicle waranty.

If however, you purchace a part and have it fitted then the new part(s) cary their own waranty period independent of the original vehicle waranty. https://www.renault.co.uk/ownerservices/parts.aspx

Having looked at this thread I thought I would have a quick look as original warranty ran out 06/12. Sure enough both my ball joints are split! Car has only done 22k. Luckily place I bought it from gave it a years warranty so they are going to fix it in a couple of weeks yay!
Does any one know if the parts Renault supply are now a modified/ better part than they were when first fitted or are we all going to have to have both arms replaced every couple of years?!
Lets hope not. Judging by the amount of people on here with this problem it is obviously pretty much all cars?

As far as I'm aware, it is unfortunately a replacement with the same parts. I don't think Renault have improved/upgraded the part at all.

That's slightly worrying! I have never had a car that needs two new complete lower arms ever couple of years. In fact I've never had a car that needed them at all.

Think ill aim to get rid in another couple of years!

It appears to only be the rubber casing that perishes/cracks. Unfortunately these appear pretty well connected to the suspension arms which is why Renault replace the whole lower arm, rather than just trying to replace the rubber boot.

I had the same problem :-/ I had my car around a year and a half with 5k on the clock and both my rubbers in the lower arms had split.

I had loads of problem with harratts (pontefract) as they messed me about with parts etc. but in the end spoke to RUK and got it all sorted okay. Im due to take my car for its next service and first MOT soon, im hoping it hasnt happened again! :)

Yeah doesn't sound like any one has found a way to replace ball joint only. Once I get new ones fitted ill just have to keep an eye on it. I wonder if its the rubber perishing if you could apply a rubber friendly product to the gaitors to condition them? Like a silicone spray or something to keep rubber supple.

maggi112":3ik78jo6 said:
I thought it was more to do with loads than the quality of the rubber, although no doubt that might not help
the rubber boot should not be taking any loading. The balljoint is a metal ball and socket swivel joint and the boot is there to keep the grease in and, the dirt out.

Metalastic rubber/metal bushes which are on the inner end of the wishbone do take a loading, therefore wearing dependent on use and may also degrade with age

Dazza1":2pwv66pt said:
DrDrew":2pwv66pt said:
Dazza1":2pwv66pt said:
Painted my calipers today and both mine r f****d

Got time to get it booked in under warranty?
Yeah drdrew it's goin in next Thursday. I just hope they fix them under warranty

Don't see why they wouldn't. Mine were fixed at 2yrs 3 months old (or thereabouts) under warranty.