Testing the Waters - Harness Bar

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt":132i9lul said:
Maybe now is time for a shameless plug to mention I still have a pair of OMP subframes for the Twingo in my garage. Would go perfectly with this... ;)

I'd be interested Matt! ;)

Glad to see someone looks at Speedhunters as much as me :p

RE materials:
Tube - will be made from 40mm x 2mm Wall CDS (Cold Drawn Steel) - one of the materials used in Roll cage manufacture (CrMo is also used, is lighter but more expensive)
End caps - manufactured from 40mm Bright Steel round bar and are through theaded with a fairly large thread.
Bolts - need to check bolt specs regarding head size/thread but will be high tensile steel to cope with as much sheer force as possible.

The bolts are a good thickness for the rear bench seat mount and the bar in of a length where the side catches will be used and catch over the top of the bolt.
The end caps are designed to be as tight as possible to the catches, without fouling either part.

The bolts will then be tightened on either end and Bob's your Aunty :p

With regards to road legality, I can't actually answer it...
Once I have the design finalised and I get it test fitted to mine, I shall do the MOT standard test for component play....The "GRAB-IT-BY-THE-BALLS-AND-SHOOGLE-THE-F*CK-OUT-OF-IT" Test.

If it doesn't budge, then I will be happy with it :)

AND.....if you want to pay for a titanium version....feel free but also have Lube ready because you will pay through the arse for it!!

It was a suggestion to you, Twingo RS/GT owners, I don't need this as the Wind has reinforcement bars in the booth.

OT: I read SpeedHunters almost every day. It has widened my horizon on cars alot! :)

MovingShadow":17ruv199 said:
Titanium is very light and has alot of rigidity.
Well, when comparing two samples of the same size, Ti isn't as strong as steel :eek: Approx 70% strength depending on alloys.

However, being about 45% of the weight, you could increase the diameter and wall thickness and get a tube with the same strength as 40mmx2mm CDS but still be lighter. It's going to be costly

yotah1":21leo0io said:
Alright, sorry my bad, I didn't think that was going to be like Al's car.
Then, I'm in :)

No worries matey :) :lol:

It will be same same basic design, just not the same cost....
Will pull my finger out and get prices and let you all know :)

Harro, I have found somewhere that does CDS at a decent price.

Just need a definite local (UK buyer) for the 2nd Prototype - will buy enough materials for the pair.

OPTION TIME

A - The bar at a length where it meets the Latch face flush, tightening effect from bolt against back of face.

B - The bar at a length where there is enough room for a tightening nut and then a couple of MM space from nut to bar end - similar to adjustable strut braces.

Need to know so I can adjust the design.

Still need a buyer for the 2nd Prototype Bar as well
Current Costs:
CDS Tube (40mm x 2) - £18+
40mm Bright Mild Steel 40mm Round Bar - £5

Accurate cost will be updated once I get the final quote back from Custom Cages for the CDS Tube.

how variable is the width between the mounts? Would you need adjustment

a strut brace will normaly be loaded in compression/ tension. If required, the harness bar would have a shear loading on the bolts so keeping any unsupported section to a minimum would be better. Maybe make the bar a few mm too short and use large penny washers as spacer shims to fill the gap which can then be tightened down with the bolts.(all based on guess work :?)

singlespeed":342jo1yw said:
how variable is the width between the mounts? Would you need adjustment

a strut brace will normaly be loaded in compression/ tension. If required, the harness bar would have a shear loading on the bolts so keeping any unsupported section to a minimum would be better. Maybe make the bar a few mm too short and use large penny washers as spacer shims to fill the gap which can then be tightened down with the bolts.(all based on guess work :?)

The maximum void I would be looking at is 5mm in total, so 2.5mm "wiggle room" on each side - which in the grand scheme of things in minimal based on the size of the part.

I shall use Scotty with my bar, just to check there isn't too much variance between cars.