Petrol? V-Power or not?

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GhostZ":v8fuk8ku said:
MovingShadow":v8fuk8ku said:
GhostZ":v8fuk8ku said:
MovingShadow":v8fuk8ku said:
I'm wondering, we got some experimental fuel here at work, called Artic Fuel, octane of 200. Wonder what would happen if I'd put that in my car..

your cars turbo will grow bigger and it will spit out fire blasting past BMW M3's at 200mph all the time.... good advertisement ?
My exhaust will do this?

785972_f520.jpg

exactly that :mrgreen:

also edit and it will go like this

[youtube]LvnSg2MJNvU[/youtube]

DrDrew":16kabwmp said:
I know I asked this question over on the RS forums when I first got my 133, and opinion was definitely split. Several people (including Al IIRC) said that they used normal 95 ron as they had tried the momentum/v-power/ultimate etc and not noticed any difference (even on track), but some who swore by using the higher octane, even some saying their engine felt rough if they didn't.

If you don't map it to the higher 98-102 octane there no point in putting that fuel in... But if you put it in, the operator should be able to advance the ignition of your engine further before knocking occurs (your knock sensor will prevent this, but if it is active it is cutting out).

But let's face it: our cars are modest, compression ratio of 11:1 isn't that high for modern engines and putting in higher then 98 would be a waste of money I suppose.

I use V-Power in Holland which has an unofficial Octanenumber of 97, but official it is 95. Octane 98 is hard to get these days, most pump have 95 and 95 Eco fuel on the 2nd nozzle were 98 used to be. So my best bet was to get 97 which is available everywhere. So that what is put in the tank before mapping it, as a result I will always have the same Octanenumber and fuel formula.

If we all would have Super 1600 Clio engines with 13:1 compression ratio we would need some pretty high octane fuel to get the best out of the engine!

DrDrew":1wfff6x2 said:
tbh I've run mine mainly on 95, as I know many others have, and I've never had the engine feel in any way rough. I definitely wouldn't suggest that your engine will feel rough if you don't run on vpower.

Mine's always feel nice and revvy on 95, including some pretty high average mpg figures going by what has commonly been stated on here. The fuel in the UK is much better than in many other countries where the 133 is sold as a standard, so 95 ron as recommended by renault should be fine.

98 is recommended! Well at least in Holland it is...

I dont notice any difference really from 95 to the "superunleadeds"

I dont put in supermarket fuel either, although make an exception at Tesco Momentum 99
If I put standard 95 in when super is not available its either Total or Shell

I need to look more carefully at what happens to the economy on the higher octane.

I use v-power.. The car loves it, pops and bangs like crazy

JMR":jw5yvk8z said:
I dont notice any difference really from 95 to the "superunleadeds"

I dont put in supermarket fuel either, although make an exception at Tesco Momentum 99
If I put standard 95 in when super is not available its either Total or Shell

I need to look more carefully at what happens to the economy on the higher octane.

There is more to fuel then just the octane numb which only says something on how hard it is to make it combust not on how big the "bang" is...

1975DCS":6rku6o98 said:
Gareth":6rku6o98 said:

On a standard car that more sounds like a bad running or mapped engine...

Its a 1.4 16v focus zetec with race cams and a crazy map!

I've only ever used V-Power in all three of my cars and the same goes for the Mrs Twingo too. Having said that neither of us do a lot of driving so the extra cost has never really phased me.

Most of these cars are capable of running on lower Octane fuel but are really designed for 97 RON+.

Alex_225":nscmk2vy said:
I've only ever used V-Power in all three of my cars and the same goes for the Mrs Twingo too. Having said that neither of us do a lot of driving so the extra cost has never really phased me.

Most of these cars are capable of running on lower Octane fuel but are really designed for 97 RON+.

Is V-power 97 in the UK? Or 100 like in Germany (last time I visit)

V-Power is 99 as JMR says.

Pretty sure it used to be 98RON when it was called Optimax though. That was when I had my first 172 back in 2003 haha

Ah ok, since a couple of years SuperPlus 98 is not available anymore. Shell, Total, Esso and Texaco discontinued this products... BP is the only one offering a 98 in the form of BP Ultimate, some white pumps offer 98 as well, but it is less everyday. All efforts go to Eco fuels these days, as are the Co2 low emission cars witch have tax benefits, including the tax we pay every month... V-Power is 97 but is sold as 95 due to regulations. I thought BP offered 102 in England as well?

Alex_225":1luhaekn said:
V-Power is 99 as JMR says.

Pretty sure it used to be 98RON when it was called Optimax though. That was when I had my first 172 back in 2003 haha

It was 98 when it was Optimax - used it all the time in my 172 back in the day Alex :)
Mind you, I had mine mapped at RS Tuning to run superunleaded only.

No Optimax one day, so put standard 95 in. Slow and lumpy. :(
Did not want.

Gareth":1zb8vpuj said:

gareth you need to come to brand, the shell there sells 102. that will certainly make you pop and bang

maggi112":38npyb0e said:
Didn't bp used to do one that was crazy expensive, exclusive to a few stations and somewhere like 112 ron?

Yeah they did we had a station around here and you needed a pin code to get access to it! Though it was around 115-120 ish

manofhow":1opod3ft said:
Gareth":1opod3ft said:

gareth you need to come to brand, the shell there sells 102. that will certainly make you pop and bang

I'm working otherwise I would do some track

maggi112":1459b4gz said:
Who was it reserved for?

It wasn't reserved for anyone in particular, it used to cost around £2 a litre and it was coded to prevent people driving off, as when it was first introduce there where thousands of litres stolen across the brand