RS160 - Twingo Gordini #159

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singlespeed":2fl56sf3 said:
6288182315_d5295e730b_b_d.jpg
The hubs are looking a bit worse for wear, so. One down, three to go :roll:
7208674404_a243640c0f_c_d.jpg

A bit neater, and I'll get them all sprayed gloss black once I've made a full set

The small carbon weave mudflaps were realy starting to show the effects of them only being 2mm thick and 10K miles of use. Plus, they were actualy too small to be effective at reducing the dirt and stones picked up. 4mm thick rally spec material should be suitable :cool:
7220452026_07cae06077_z_d.jpg

7220457582_fe7aab13ae_z_d.jpg

Thats the second hubcap made and fitted. ;)
7220458832_043239018e_z_d.jpg

The rear arch extention of the RS has a large return lip which makes it easy to drill attachment holes and use fir tree clips to hold the flap in place. The non RS models only have a small return lip and this would probably be tricky... The Renault mudflaps shown by Sam may be a better option as they are made for the Non RS Twingo
7220460158_a78b929942_z_d.jpg

Angle bracket used to support the inner edge was just added onto the bottom of the bumper mounting
7220461056_9b583aa201_z_d.jpg

Two firtree clips go through the flap and bracket, then hold onto a small offcut of mudflap material
7220462044_f6ba71a219_z_d.jpg

7220454912_13940d777c_z_d.jpg

The front arch extention return lip is much smaller, meaning the holes need to be drilled quite carefully 6mm holes and firtree clips are ok. The inner two holes needed to be carefully positioned to clear the metal lip which was hidden behind the vertical bump of the arch liner
7220456076_53542040ae_z_d.jpg

I did spend a while, mocking up cardboard templates but the actual mudflaps are easy to cut with a steel ruler and stanley knife for the straight bits and drawing round a 10p coin before cutting with a pair of sharp scissors worked well for neat corners. A sharp 6mm drill was used for the holes, which suited the 6mm firtree clips.

4mm thick Mudflap material and two 90degree brackets from JJC Race and rally
6 or 8mm button head firtree clips from the local motor factors

If I may say something honest, it looks like very nice job placing them on the car but I'm not convinced of the different blue color..

MovingShadow":6q2a6pwj said:
If I may say something honest, it looks like very nice job placing them on the car but I'm not convinced of the different blue color..

Of course you may say that. I'm not entirely convinved myself. However, I do have black material as well, so may swap them out in the future, once the novelty wears off ;)

MovingShadow":2pw5e00p said:
I was thinking the same that either black or maybe even white mudflaps (goes with the gordini colors)
i quite like the white idea also but they will get filthy quik :D

Just keeping things together.
7338248030_6b8115ab9b_b_d.jpg

7338253856_da0d2560d5_b_d.jpg

Still a few things to work out about fitting and how it would work with/affect the head mods and also getting a refill :? .
I'm so tempted
3423sb150i4sm_1_1.jpg

Daveyb133":287jcfjy said:
Well, I'm not doing it :( Frequent trips down to Glasgow to get a 5 or 11lb bottle filled just wouldn't be fun with a 4 hour each way drive, so getting a bulk cylinder and filling my own bottle would be the most practical solution. The transportation costs for getting a 50 litre bulk cylinder started to look horiffic and compared to being down south, where a small bottle can be refilled at approx £5 per lb of N20 which would have been fine.

Initial delivery:-
£230+vat for 50ltrs N2O
£90 per annum rental charge for the cylinder.
£100+ carriage getting the cylinder delivered
£50 returning the special pallet

then, getting the 50 litre cylinder refilled in the future would be:-
£50 to receive the special pallet
£100+ carriage getting the cylinder sent back
£230+vat for the gas
£100+ carriage getting the cylinder delivered
£50 returning the special pallet
:lol: Maybe not :(

maggi112":3kjz0453 said:
How often did you plan on using it?!

Perhaps a small bottle with infrequent use and just refilling it when youre down to see us lot ;)
If that was the case, I bet a 5lb bottle would be empty by the time I got home as that would certainly make the drive back up the A9 a lot less borring :twisted:

There used to be a refiller in Perth but I beleive the nearest one now is Glasgow... If this one closed, It would be a realy loooong drive or the super priced bulk route. Neither one realy makes sence if the costs or planning mean your affraid to use it.

maggi112":1o1aydki said:
Surely that's a good thing? How often do you imagine it's needed?
I normaly go out for a good drive once a week so it would be reasonable to assume some good usage every week. Hence needing a reliable and economical method of refills which doesn't seem viable for me.... Unless I move down south, which just isn't happening ;)

JamesGT":1o1aydki said:
Use good old fashioned 'Man Maths', it will make it happen
I have and it makes the headwork, cams and even direct to head throttle bodys look cheap when potentialy paying a grand a year for shipping costs :cool:

Well, maybe not cheap but you get the idea :shock:

maggi112":caxximk6 said:
Just no commitment
not realy ;) For running nitrous occasionaly, it would mean some compromises on the conventional tunning so maybe not as good as it could be when not on gas.

Ignition advance isn't a good idea on nitrous, so setting optimum advance off gas would probably lead to detonation.

Nitrous runs hotter, so a cooler spark plug is recomended so the tip doesn't start glowing and cause pre-ignition. RS133's seem to be picky over their plugs so this one bothered me.

The extra heat needs to be conducted from the exhaust head, so the planned 3 angle seat cut would have been left with a wider seat

Cam timming/profiles would be another compromise as NA and nitrous have different needs.

High comp pistons and rods would only make the above compromises more evident