RS160 - Twingo Gordini #159

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the plan is?

Ktec manifold, cams, ports sorted and a remap to suit? Cos that's probably something I'd eventually love to do. Plus the standard exhaust for mots :p but I'm actually unsure if I'd want to with the current issues I'm not even sure I'd want to keep within the rs family

maggi112":1wnnpmb8 said:
So the plan is?

Ktec manifold, cams, ports sorted and a remap to suit?
Prety much. Also see how Ollie gets on with the ITB's

but I'm actually unsure if I'd want to with the current issues I'm not even sure I'd want to keep within the rs family
Awww. Hugs :oops: :mrgreen:

Might do a Gareth. Buy a proper car and annoy chavs at fcs by leaving it on your stand ;)

And i would like to see how the cams and exhaust go and what you get from that. Assuming ktecs rollers aren't wonky donky could be impressive gains from just them two and mapping

Reinforced lower engine mount (Dogbone)

The stock lower mounting (dogbone) has a lot of air space in there. Great for a quiet and vibration free ride but not so brilliant at keeping the engine in the same place. Watch your gear stick whilst accelerating and then lifting off.

7521040712_e7f09d8389_c_d.jpg

7555877704_28467d868e_c_d.jpg

7555873660_10812bdafa_c_d.jpg

7555870492_8b5d312f2f_c_d.jpg

The full thread >>here<<

One of the burners for the HID's had decided to start flickering and dying, so a set of Osram night breaker plus bulbs have gone in. To be honest, I think they are actualy better than the HID's on main beam as more light seems to go forward instead of out the side.

Also, just put the 17's back on for winter as the AD08 tyres were becoming a bit of a handfull in the wet and I've just found a nail in one of the rears. Hopefully that can be fixed before spring.

great looking gordini. loving the rally look. have you thought about getting rid of rear bench for extra cool points?

quick question as abit new on here. how do you find running the bf goodrich 205/40/17 tyres?

philwag1988":19o14whj said:
great looking gordini. loving the rally look. have you thought about getting rid of rear bench for extra cool points?

quick question as abit new on here. how do you find running the bf goodrich 205/40/17 tyres?
:) thanks.

It would probably save a couple of rattles, but I prefer the seats in. I'm definately not bothered about cool, so don't need cool points :?

The BFG profiler G is a decent all rounder. Decent dry grip and ok in the wet, but not as good as the dry grip from some performance tyres, or the wet grip of a winter/rain tyre. reasonable wear and cost. I think this is the 5th set i've had fitted (3 sets on the Audi, a set on the old astra and a set now on the Dini ), so you could guess i'm reasonably happy with them most of the time. They give a bit more protection than the 195's as you have probably seen if you spotted the tyres

singlespeed":3qzqq7se said:
philwag1988":3qzqq7se said:

:) thanks.

It would probably save a couple of rattles, but I prefer the seats in. I'm definately not bothered about cool, so don't need cool points :?

The BFG profiler G is a decent all rounder. Decent dry grip and ok in the wet, but not as good as the dry grip from some performance tyres, or the wet grip of a winter/rain tyre. reasonable wear and cost. I think this is the 5th set i've had fitted (3 sets on the Audi, a set on the old astra and a set now on the Dini ), so you could guess i'm reasonably happy with them most of the time. They give a bit more protection than the 195's as you have probably seen if you spotted the tyres

i've heard good things about them but dont see many. they seem to be quite rare or less you know where to look.

i noticed the side wall was taller and think it looks alot better. i did have to zoom in just to check tho

i've just gotten some kumho Ecsta Le Sport and they seem alright atm.

ah fair play just thought it be a suggestion seeing that you've put alot of work into the dini. keep it up as it looks great!

Just had a phone call to say the cylinder head is ready. So, it and the new cams should be back home the middle of next week :)

Edit to keep the thread in order...

Cylinder head work by Automotive Machine Services
https://www.automotivemachineservices.co.uk/
Inlet ports machine bored, throats worked, valve seats recut and new guides
8268840485_555f094a18_c_d.jpg

8269907006_747717dc1e_c_d.jpg

The exhaust side had the throats worked, the roof of the port opened out where there used to be a thick boss, valve seats recut and new guides.
8268839967_7f901e93dc_c_d.jpg

Chambers had work around the valves, to unshroud the valve. Polished out the casting marks and then refaced the gasket face to restore the compression ratio.
8268861515_991f286ca7_c_d.jpg

Fast road profile camshafts from Catcams
Billet ground and heat treated, with a bit more lift and more duration. Stage 2 cams
8269905762_1d8c2dc9f1_c_d.jpg

For anyone wanting to know the profile specs for the original cams and the new profiles
Specs are:

A/ STD specs:
- intake: 254°@0.1mm / 213°@1.0mm / 10.65mm (5.40mm)
- exhaust: 250°@0.1mm / 201°@1.0mm / 7.95mm (4.00mm)

B/ stage1 (5504701):
- intake: 261°@0.1mm / 223°@1.0mm / 11.25mm (5.69mm)
- ehxaust: 241°@0.1mm / 203°@1.0mm / 9.25mm (4.68mm)
- intended for factory or mapped ECU
- runs on std cam followers and valve springs

C/ stage2 (5504702):
- intake: 265°@0.1mm / 227°@1.0mm / 11.50mm (5.81mm)
- ehxaust: 249°@0.1mm / 211°@1.0mm / 10.25mm (5.18mm)
- intended for mapped ECU
- runs on std cam followers and valve springs

Regards

Matt
Catcams N.V.
UK Sales & Technical Representative
www.catcams.co.uk

Which makes the original RS133 cams look fairly wild when compared to the 5502702, 703, 704 series upgraded camshafts for the earlier k4m-700 series engines :shock:

New K-tec Racing engine back exhaust system with 4-1 manifold and 200 cell sports cat
Fitting was a bit of a pain, but purely because getting the original manifold out is a tight fit. Needing the right hand drive shaft and lower engine mounting to be removed, before swinging the bottom of the engine forwards a bit, to get the old manifold and cat out past the subfame.

Original Renault 4-1 manifold complete with cat

I extended both the Lambda cables by chopping them near the connectors and adding in wire to reach the new position, using some Adhesive lined heatshrink crimps to get a reliable water proof joint.

KTR 4-1 manifold
8333373879_63c0d79035_c_d.jpg

Pre-cat lambda sensor now on the outlet from the manifold
8334438402_b045556969_c_d.jpg

K-tec sports cat front pipe and center box
8342069148_b96bcd1975_c_d.jpg

Clamped on tail pipe with slash cut could be easily changed
8334429516_f40062180d_c_d.jpg

Position in the cutout is perfect
8334426772_b49ac1d222_c_d.jpg

The new K-tec system manifold was designed to be a direct swap for the original manifold/cat and, the new system was designed to go on the new manifold or onto the original. This would allow for doing it in two stages. Hence, options for a decat front pipe or 200cell sports cat front pipe. Theres a large center silensor box to quieten it down a bit, as without it, it was too loud as a full sports cat system

Supersprint catback exhaust
[youtube]tTmpcFSfa04[/youtube]

New K-tec manifold and sports cat exhaust system
[youtube]a6N84cZXQGE[/youtube]

glad it fits well neil.

i prefer the sound of the supersprint exhaust though :shock: :?

will the supersprint exhaust fit the ktec manifold?

also will the ktec exhaust be needed after the new head is fitted and remap done to give the best gains or will it not make a difference?

Daveyb133":1r3407wm said:
glad it fits well neil.

i prefer the sound of the supersprint exhaust though :shock: :?

will the supersprint exhaust fit the ktec manifold?
fortunately I quite like the new note. Good burble at idle and when flooring it. No off throttle drone like some of the Miltek exhausts i've had. Kind of balances out the carbon airbox now.

The Supersprint would fit onto the manifold, but that would then be without a cat and be missing the large centerbox which the new K-tec system has. I expect that would be very loud.

also will the ktec exhaust be needed after the new head is fitted and remap done to give the best gains or will it not make a difference?
it wouldn't have been essential for the cam swap, or even the head swap. However, the original manifold is good, but still a compromise and I don't intend doing any upgrades after this lot.

Must stop looking at DTH throttle boddies :?

Like the sound of the KTec. Couldn't hear at full sound because I'm at work, sitting in a landscape office, but the KTec has a nice burble :cool:

Edit:

used some headphones at work.. definatly the KTec :cool:

The manifold seems to give a more deeper sound i like :D , but what i dont like is how much effort you had to put in the car to just take of the manifold guess our K4M engine is a tight fit :D

So I finaly bothered to do the jobs which I've been putting off for a while

Opened out the inlet to the filter, as I originaly intended

Lower inlet manifold
A bit of smoothing to the cast finish and blending in the ports to match the head.

The top edge had nearly 2mm removed and about 1mm either side of the port, to match the standard head

Ports opened out to match the size of the upper manifold

The hole at the top of the flange was large enough, but below that, the casting narrows quite a bit

Revised K-tec upper gearbox mount
I've had this laying about for a while, just not got around to fitting it :oops:
After returning the original one which needed work to make it fit (due to Renault changing the brackets around April 2008) and caused a lot of vibration. This one fits perfectly under the battery tray and within the support casting. There was quite a bit of vibration at idle and a bit extra noise to begin with, but nothing significant and, it had already started to quiet down a bit after a 20 mile test drive.

Thats now all three engine mounts done.

Oil Catch Tank
I had already worked out it was going to be a tight squeeze fitting a tank in the bay, but I knew it could go here if I made a bracket to go on the side of the battery tray. It seemed a good idea to do this whilst the G/B mount.
Second inlet to tank plugged (Edit:- Paul at K-tec was concerned the top breather cap may not be sufficient at high rpm. So, he has fitted an extra breather outlet onto the second connection) and also plugged the inlet elbow where the breather used to attach