RS160 - Twingo Gordini #159

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K-tec only managed to get the new cams fitted to their 133 yesterday. They have been busy developing clio superchargers and other irrelevant stuff :( :lol: Good news is they fit and it starts n runs... Although they haven't done the mapping or any power runs yet.

Dini, keys, head, cams and a box of presents from the loverly Karl were handed over to Paul this morning. As expected, he said the belt is a pain to do, but he has previously done a ported head on a 133 and obviously a set of cams yesterday... I wonder whos head that was?

Roll on Weds evening or Thursday for it being back together :)

my bad, it was V12 and still trying

The original ecu is being rather stuborn to adapt to the changes

benmc":1xgytuky said:
Whatttt so are we talking stand alone needed ?!
quite possibly :?

Back in the morning to try raising the idle, as its lumpy at the minute and cuts out when the revs drop off and don't catch at the idle speed. Could be getting the train home if Andy and me arent happy tomorrow

Good news for you lot though is with mine and their cup needing more work when running cams and induction. Renflash is being prioritised for development.

Just keeping my mussings together from the cam results thread.

Its all become clear now, why Andy was struggling and failing to get a decent map to work on my engine, which apart from the gas flowed head and induction is the same as their motor. Andy has just been discussing this with Matt from Catcams....

Theres actualy been two different profiles ground :shock: and I have the ones with a more aggesive profile which will cause idle issues as the ECU and MAP sensor get very confused with the fluctuating pressure from so much overlap.

So, I'm a bit sad at the moment as mine won't run properly untill a standalone ECU goes on. Or, lower spec cams go in (which isn't going to happen). But I'm also happy that it can and will be fixed up properly as Andy will be working on their Gen90 ECU which wasn't planned for development as any kind of priority.

Stage 1 cams work on the stock ECU and give 163hp with sports cat exhaust and airfilter
Stage 2 cams kind of work on the stock ECU (but need a standalone) and give 175hp on mine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ollie133cup":zfkhmg2u said:
That's still great news Neil. I asked about the GEN 90 before getting my emerald management, and was told they wouldn't be working on the GEN 90 in the near future.

So are the cams in yours still classed as Fast Road?

Will you be keeping your car at KTR until the Gen 90 is sorted then?
Yeah, Dini will be residing at KTR for a while :(

Speaking with David and Andy at KTR, they had plans to get the Gen90 ECU working on the Twingo in the future, although due to the market demand for the Twingo being smaller than the Clio and Meg ranges, this would probably keep slipping. However now, theres a definate need for it, so once the current ongoing tasks are cleared from Andys work book, the Gen90 will be worked on and integrated to my car :cool: David is quite happy about this, as it opens up the posibility of turbo conversions etc and will be a proper cure rather than a 95% patch for mine>>

Playing about with the exhaust cam timing may have resolved the idle problem (by decreasing the valve overlap) as this works on the 172/182 Clios with aggresive cams... However, the guess work has already been thoroughly overcome and tested on them and now, Paul simply dials in 3' retard on the exhaust and knows its good to go. Problem being he would have to gradualy dial in a bit at a time and check/map/run each time untill it either worked or he ran out of adjustment. Not being quick or easy to adjust each time and not knowing if it would fully work at the end, meant the standalone ECU was the logical choice.

"Its a slightly wilder profile but not drastic." So yes, they are still fast road cams, but Stage 2.

BikNorton":zfkhmg2u said:
singlespeed":zfkhmg2u said:
Stage 1 cams work on the stock ECU and give 163hp with sports cat exhaust and airfilter
From what you said earlier - a panel filter but not a full cold air system?

Bit disconcerting they sent out two profiles without mentioning it, though I suppose as it's two customers why would they. At least you got the good ones :D 30% over stock must be brilliant fun - and presumably an ECU that knows what it's doing will free up even more.
The stage 1 cams , panel filter and KTR exhaust system seems to be about as much as the standard ECU can cope with at standard cam setting procedures (see above). Theres a minor hesitation at 2K with full throttle, but 3/4 throttle is fine. Any other revs/load, it seems happy. Tweeking the exhaust cam timing on the Stage 1 would possibly allow a greater scope for changing filters.

If KTR got the wilder profile and they ran fine at 174, I would have been a bit disapointed at seeing 163 from mine. However being as 155-160 was my target area, I would have been more than happy with 163 if that was what both sets made. As it stands, I'll settle with the ones which are in and progress forwards

Neil the more i read your comments the harder it is for me not to waste more money on my car :S

Stage 1 sound nice but then ill be needing a sport cat and a new KTR manifold i guess...

btw with the sport cat dont i need to extend the lambda wire (or what ever they call that sensor) else i get warning light on the dash also , the emissions of the exhaust dont they change drastic ?

GhostZ":3mj4tw7j said:
Neil the more i read your comments the harder it is for me not to waste more money on my car :S
Sorry :mrgreen:

Stage 1 sound nice but then ill be needing a sport cat and a new KTR manifold i guess...

btw with the sport cat dont i need to extend the lambda wire (or what ever they call that sensor) else i get warning light on the dash also , the emissions of the exhaust dont they change drastic ?
You wouldn't need the engine back exhaust and cat. However they do work well together.

Yes, with the sports cat, you need to extend both Lambda cables and connect them as per the originals, but that is fairly easy with some cable conduit and heatshrink crimps >>like these<<

If mapped correctly, a correct fuel burn would still be possible, just like standard. The difference being theres potential to get more air into the cylinder on each inlet cycle and that requires more fuel, which produces more power. Its still a 4 stroke petrol engine, so too much or too little fuel for the amount of air will give you running and/or emmission problems wether the engine is modified or not.

Surely with standalone on the stage 2 cams there is room for even more improvement? Don't get me wrong, 174 is bloody awesome but aren't you tempted for that... little more.

Matt":1naoglz0 said:
Surely with standalone on the stage 2 cams there is room for even more improvement? Don't get me wrong, 174 is bloody awesome but aren't you tempted for that... little more.
Not in the slightest :?

A lot more :lol: Now that woud be tempting... Although, I still want it drivable and low/mid range is the key to that. I think much more than this spec would start sacrificing too much bottom end to get the top end power thats seldome used in reality... Saying that, a supercharger would work :lol:

With a supercharger on what you've already got you'll be in almost megane territory.... :twisted: