V6 airbox setup

Twingo Forum

Help Support Twingo Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FaBiO 180":supmswwh said:
you could try with a smaller gel battery.....
I had thought of trying the Odysey 625 battery as I have one in the garage. But, I think it's a bit too small to have in a road car. Theres enough cranking amps to turn over a large engine but not a huge amount of reserve current if lights or anything are left on or multiple starts without a re-charge between them

YB16-CLB replacement
625 cranking amps for 5 seconds
545 cranking amps for 10 seconds
480 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 1800A
27 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Length 6.7"
Width 3.90"
Height 6.89"
Weight 13.2 lbs

manofhow":supmswwh said:
looking good

how does it sound?
The paper filter that was in it looked like it had come out of a hoover, not a car intake :?
Needless to say, I didn't try it.

if you need space for a bigger airbox, you could use a setup like this:

CIMG0722.JPG

has a smaller footprint than the standard battery, is only 4cm high and weights 2kg... forget gel batteries :)

i didn't know this kind of battery exist

do you have a reference and price?

personnaly my battery setup :
img2892rs.jpg

img3308rs.jpg

mazmaz":22y71hxt said:

img2892rs.jpg

img3308rs.jpg

Is that actually in a twingo...? Interesting idea

mazmaz":1vgaq54h said:

These are HEADWAY 40160 cells. 40mm diameter, 160mm long, LiFePO4 cells with 3,2V, 16Ah, 10C (160A) peak discharge and 5C continuous discharge (80A).

Price of one cell is around 30€. I paid 140€ for the 4 cells, the mounting clips, connectors and postage from a shop in germany.

Being LiFePO cells, they normally need to be charged using a balancer. due to the low drift they should be safe to operate without. max charging current is 40A

mazmaz":14spasja said:

img2892rs.jpg

img3308rs.jpg
is there a fuse next to the new battery position, to protect the cable going up to the engine compartment?

yes i take the big fuse that was in the original fuse box next to the batterie, and put it dirrectly on the ACU (+) (not found big enouth in store)

i keep the smalls one in the fuse box (where the cable split)

mazmaz":33ba8byv said:
yes i take the big fuse that was in the original fuse box next to the batterie, and put it dirrectly on the ACU (+) (not found big enouth in store)

i keep the smalls one in the fuse box (where the cable split)
Good move :cool:

I've just done a non scientific test with the 172 airbox and new paper filter, versus the BMC CDA which was cleaned and oiled 800miles ago. Both sets of tests were done after a 10 mile warm up to keep things fair and less than 30 minutes between them (just long enouth to swap out the filters).

With the new airbox and filter fitted, the initial impression was the intake noise was slightly louder than the CDA when under full throttle and mid/high revs, probably due to the intake being in the engine bay rather than enclosed. In 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the performance felt similar up to 5000 revs but it was less willing to pull to the limitter in 3rd so i wasn't going to force the issue. The test consisted of a rolling start from 24mph in 4th and was effectively a drag race to a fixed point (before I ran out of tarmac), with the drag run being repeated a second time after a quick turn around. With both runs giving 91mph.

Quickly refitting the CDA , which the car was mapped to, so I know it pulls cleanly from low revs and will happily pull to the limitter in 4th. The same 10 mile pre-run and two runs giving 93mph over the same distance.

It's not definative but I certainly saw a 2mph difference. A re-run is in order when the BMC element turns up ;)

and so do you think that bmc CDA is better than clio 172 airbox??

months ago i've done a test with my car, BMC DIA 85-150 (bigger then your CDA) with dynamic air scope, and the original air box with bmc panel filter - here some photos of the work:

the car without filter:

Airbox DIA insulated for heat (terrible to see, I know)

Fitted!!

Air intake built by me:

and finally the bumper:

i think i've done e good work, and the car goes very well from 2.000 to 7.500, but when I returned to the OEM filter I didn't noticed big differeces, and so i finalized that the OEM air box is so bad.... i'd like to try a bigger filter like the v6 airbox, or something similar, because the bmc filter have disappointed me a little bit....

when placing a BMC carbon dynamic box they recommend you do a bench test with your car to get the real results.

FaBiO 180":18ppopap said:
and so do you think that bmc CDA is better than clio 172 airbox??
With a basic paper filter in the V6/172 Ph1 enclosure, yes. That will probably be a different story with a free flowing element in the V6 sized enclosure and remapped accordingly, as it will flow as well at light loads and pottentialy better than the 70/130 CDA at the higher rev range as the filter area is huge.

I just need to reposition the inlets on the filter housing to clear the battery tray and battery. I won't be taking the cold air feed from the left hand wheel area (where the resonator was) because the amount of dust and mud which has collected inside this area would mean the filter would be collecting dirty air and potentialy water as well. Unfortunately work will be getting in the way of progress :roll:

The 70/130 CDA is recomended for engines up to 1.6, however the 7,250 rev limit of the RS may mean this is becoming restrictive towards the top of the rev range. The cone filter within the 70/130 is smaller in size than the standard airbox which has been proven to work well with a BMC or green element. However, the 85/150 CDA element is the base unit for many of the kits which are capable of 260bhp, so this should be able to flow enough air to supply the RS133

mmmhhh i'm startin' to think that the OEM airbox isn't so bad :lol: :lol:

just teasing, but i'm fairly happy so far with the remains of the Clio 197 housing and the BMC element :)

Take one Clio 197 P1 filter housing and chop the center out of it, leaving just the base and a top ring to clip onto the top of the intake
Make up a carbon tube and then wrap the can in a couple of layers of carbon. Make a duct to fill the large gap above the radiator, where the original scoop was... Cut a large hole in the new can and join the two parts together

6812609648_ccbb873896_z_d.jpg

6812612508_1c5c2f98fd_z_d.jpg

6958724803_148f6b3cff_z_d.jpg

6812617052_f4df0637b5_z_d.jpg

Theres about 1mm either side, between the lid and the battery, lid and cable connector
6812619204_8ac90680ca_z_d.jpg

6958731023_3467accbd3_z_d.jpg

It's just a little bit bigger than the 70/130 CDA :?
6958733309_f363f66bb1_z_d.jpg

Clio v6 and espace v6 are same boxes then the triangular Clio v6 is from the newer v6's

And have you seen any gains from this set up over standard ?